Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:14:51 -0500, Wakko Warner <wakko@???>
wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:41:31 -0500, Wakko Warner <wakko@???>
>> wrote:
>> >I am currently using Debian. However, I took the latest (I think it was
>> >4.34) debian source package, exim 4.34, exim 4.43 and extracted to a
>> >directory. Diffed exim 4.34 and 4.43 then applied that diff to the debian
>> >one.
>>
>> Did you look in the package tracking system, or in the experimental
>> distribution? Chances are that you missed a 4.4x package.
>
>I think at the time, 4.4x wasn't there yet.

You might be right. We waited with 4.4x for a while to get a later
4.3x package into testing. Nowadays, we use unstable as entry point
for testing and have later versions in experimental. This can change
again when testing-proposed-updates is finally in place.

>I keep a mirror of debian/pool (sources, i386, and all). Is
>experiemental somewhere else?

The Packages themselves are in the pool, but the Packages files you
need to apt from experimental are, IIRC, in project, like the Packages
files you need to apt from stable, testing and unstable are in dists.

>> I hope you used the exim4-config-custom possibility instead of hacking
>> the main exim4-config.
>
>It didn't exist in the debian 4.34 did it?

The possiblity to generate your own exim4-config package has been
there from a very early stage, I think from 4.1x on. The
infrastructure to easily generate source packages a starting points
for local exim4-config packages isn't much younger.

>I don't have exim4-config installed.

So you tweaked binary package dependencies?

Greetings
Marc