Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Author: Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
Hi,

this seems to be getting a bit religious; perhaps it is time to stand
back and take a deep breath.

> There was no reason to recompile from source. The standard Debian
> packages work fine with a hand-rolled config.

ROTFL

I have used Debian pretty much since its inception but am now moving
away from it to Gentoo simply because of attitudes like those seen on
this list. Debian seems to be more arrogant than the other distros.
They lost me as an advocate over a period of a year. It is not just
Exim that seems to be a special case - cdrecord is, perl is...

I simply ended up doing a minimal installation and getting what I wanted
as sources and compiling them myself. Eventually you find Debian is
so out of date that stuff won't compile (may I mention libstdc++.so.5
and stable).

It's a shame because I really think Debian had it very right - they have
just strayed a bit but don't seem to realise it.

TTFN

Dave
mail/exim/2005-02-18.tx                                        exim-users

| Dave Restall,       IIRC Limited, PO Box 46, Skelton, Cleveland, TS12 2GT. |
| Tel. 0845 10 80 151    Mob. +44 (0) 7973 831245   Int. +44 (0) 1287 653003 |
| email : dave@???       dave@???     Web : http://www.iirc.net |

| Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing.           |
|         -- Kirk, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6              |