Re: [exim] Using DEFER instead of DENY or DROP for spam

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Using DEFER instead of DENY or DROP for spam
On 27 Dec 2004 at 10:36, Nikademus wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Using DEFER instead of D":

| But you can specify a message when deferring. So a real user should
| still see this message, or am I wrong?

Not immediately, but probably eventually. It depends on the
configuration of the sending MTA.

When a message is deferred, it is conventional to send a "delivery
delayed, you don't have to do anything" DSN to the envelope sender
after some period of time (some hours, typically). The warning DSN
may or may not be repeated at some other period (daily, say) until
the sending MTA finally gives up and sends an final "delivery failed"
DSN to the sender. That could be days or even weeks later.

That's what a well configured MTA does. Some MTAs may not return
the warning DSNs, so the sender may have no clue for days. Or not at
all - I've read that Yahoo Groups will silently deliver to the user's
web mailbox if his non-Yahoo address defers even once.

- Fred