Re: [exim] problem with sending out mail - Exim 4.32

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] problem with sending out mail - Exim 4.32
On 27 Dec 2004 at 12:01, Robert Cates wrote about
    "[exim] problem with sending out mai":

| A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
| recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
|
|   cates58@???
|     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<cates58@???>:
|     host 213.133.104.6 [213.133.104.6]: 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed
| to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
|
| if I understand correctly this is because the 'smarthost' rejected it?

Whatever MTA you were sending it to rejected it. You don't show us
any log data that might show if it's your smarthost (presumably
routed by a manualroute router) or a HotMail MX (presumably routed by
a dnslookup router).

| But
| is the 'smarthost' rejecting because of my Exim MTA, or because of the 'RCPT
| TO:'?

Taking the 553 message text at face value, because of the RCPT TO:.
What other factors may be involved in the remote MTA's policy
decision isn't visible.

If this really is your ISP's smarthost, it should normally accept
messages for relaying from you. Possibly they require your envelope
sender to be valid (is www-data@??? deliverable?) or worse yet
they may require that it be an ISP-assigned mailbox.

| Actually, why is it even trying to relay to the 'smarthost'?

Because you have a router that does that?

| This is
| a message generated from a PHP script (running of course on my local Apache
| web server), which I have configured to use the local mail server (Exim),
| but for some reason Exim wants to pass it on the the 'smarthost' (even
| though the sender is a local_part, as far as I can tell).

Unless you are running the HotMail mail server, the *recipient*
address is not local.

| The header of the message follows:

This shows that it was your exim that generated the DSN you quoted
above.

| If the sender is 'www-data@???' shouldn't Exim deliver directly,

Um. Messages are normally delivered to the recipients, not the
sender...

- Fred