Re: [exim] exim does not detect invalid configfile on startu…

Autor: Adam D. Barratt
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim does not detect invalid configfile on startup.
[Recipients snipped to exim-users only]

On Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:05 AM, Odhiambo G. Washington
<wash@???> wrote:

> * Andreas Metzler <eximusers@???> [20041221 22:47]:
> wrote:

[...]
>> Indeed exim seems to not check the right hand-site of control=
>> statements for valid syntax on startup as it does for options et al.
>
> Sorry to jump into this, but the statement Mr. Andreas has responded
> to seems weird to me, if anyone ever did that. Why? It says
>
> 1. Exim 4.34 does not support submission mode (it was added in 4.40).
> 2. However, adding "control=submission" to an ACL in the 4.34 config
>    file ...

> Now I am wondering: If you know so well that submission support mode
> is only a feature of 4.40 and above, why try it in 4.34???

Users do stuff like that. :-)

To provide a bit of background, the bug reporter submitted a bug against
Debian's 4.34 packages asking for control=submission to be used. afaics, the
second bug [the one Andreas forwarded] was filed when it was pointed out
that 4.34 didn't support submission mode, and it was realised that exim
would happily start with the modifier in the config file, and wouldn't fail
until the ACL in question was executed.

Adam