Re: [exim] exim does not detect invalid configfile on startu…

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: Odhiambo G. Washington
CC: exim-users, 286721-forwarded, Andreas Metzler
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim does not detect invalid configfile on startup.
Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:

> Sorry to jump into this, but the statement Mr. Andreas has responded
> to seems weird to me, if anyone ever did that. Why? It says
>
> 1. Exim 4.34 does not support submission mode (it was added in 4.40).
> 2. However, adding "control=submission" to an ACL in the 4.34 config
>    file ...

> Now I am wondering: If you know so well that submission support mode
> is only a feature of 4.40 and above, why try it in 4.34??? Are we
> expecting Philip to address that or what is the point? ;)

God, no. Andreas quoted me a bit out of context when he forwarded that
bit to the list.

I was giving Andreas context for my Debian bug report with that
statement. Debian currently has 4.34 in testing, but when I read that
thread last week about Submission mode, I wanted to try it. At the
time, I didn't know it was unsupported in my version. I put it in the
config, and it launched fine, so I didn't know there was a problem. It
was only until Logcheck started spamming me with errors from my
rejectlog that I noticed there was a problem.

The point of putting all that in the bug report is so that it doesn't
get closed (on the Debian side, before being forwarded upstream) with
"4.34 doesn't support submission mode."

Of course, when I filed that report with Debian, I didn't realize that
the official way of reporting bugs upstream for exim was posting to
exim-users -- I could have done that much myself. :)

- Marc