Re: [Exim] newbie email problems

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] newbie email problems
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:09:06 +0100 (BST) Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, K. Shantanu wrote:
> > And do we have a comprehensive and easy to understand document like
> > "Life with qmail" for exim?
> I suspect that few people know both, which would be a necessary
> precondition for writing such a document.

I think he meant a general "tips" document about Exim, rather than one
written for qmail->Exim conversion.

To the original poster: I don't know that there's an exact equivalent, but
the documentation for Exim is superb. Here are the main resources:

1. The Exim 'specification' (i.e. manual). Get it from the website/FTP.
Exim is possibly one of the best-document pieces of open source software
in existence. The manual is a comprehensive reference and includes some
limited examples. It's available in many formats including a convenient
PDF.

2. The Exim book. Buy it from a book shop. It's also written by Philip
Hazel, the author of Exim. It's not just a reprint of the manual.

3. The Exim FAQ. There are lots of references and examples including a
"configuration cookbook" which tells you, simply & easily, how to do lots
of common things. Get it here:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ.html

4. Third party references. Various people have done documentation and
other bits about Exim. Kevin Reed's got a nice collection of tips and
stuff in his forums:

http://exim.got-there.com/forums/

and I've written a mini-HOWTO about spam and virus scanning:

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php

There are more as well, these are just a start.

Tim