Re: [Exim] newbie email problems

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: K. Shantanu
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] newbie email problems
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, K. Shantanu wrote:

> What more informaton you want? I want,
> - mails to be delviered properly to users like shantanu@???
> - mails to be delviered properly to extension addresses like
> shantanu-extension@???

I think Nigel answered this in his message which, looking at the
timestamps, probably crossed with yours. He wrote:

  What you do is split your routers up into 3 sets:-
        * Remote routers (ie ones for external addresses).  These do not
          care about your local address quirks so you just ignore them.
        * Local routers that should treat extended addresses as completely
          different - for example your mail alias router would typically
          treat fred+extension completely different to fred or
          fred+diffextension.  These are easy - you change nothing.
        * Local routers which mostly ignore extended addresses, treating
          them the same as the unextended address - ie fred is the same as
          fred+something.  These routers would normally be your
          userforward and localuser routers.

To handle this last form you simply add:-

    local_part_suffix = +*:-*
    local_part_suffix_optional

to the appropriate routers.

And by "appropriate routers" he means the userforward and localuser
routers.

> - this file tag is ruining everything. What do I put there?

You do not want/need an extra router to provide this functionality. Get
rid of that extra router you got from somewhere on the net. Spelling it
out:

  1. Throw away your configuration and replace it with Exim's default
     configuration; or at least get rid of additions that you do not
     understand, specifically this malconfigured router.

2. Add

       local_part_suffix = +*:-*
       local_part_suffix_optional

     to BOTH the userforward and localuser routers which exist in the
     default configuration.

> And do we have a comprehensive and easy to understand document like
> "Life with qmail" for exim?

I suspect that few people know both, which would be a necessary
precondition for writing such a document.