Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Dan Egli
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
Edgar Lovecraft wrote:

> I never did say that there was an RFC that says that. My point is this,
> DHCP and therefore 'untracable/un-accountable' IP addresses should not be
> used to host any kind of 'network service' and expect that others will
> trust the source of the network service. That is why there are hosting
> companies and ISPs that will give static IP addresses that have proper
> DNS PTR records that are associated with the url/domain of the service on
> that IP address. It all comes down trust, and when an IP connects to my
> server that a DNS PTR of ' ipxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.ks.ok.cox.net' how I can trust
> that is a 'real server' and not just some infected machine? Not perfect,
> nothing is, but if the PTR is mymailserver.domain.com, at least I know
> that there is some kind of paper record for the PTR being established
> should the need to look into it ever arise, and the level of trust can be
> higher just for that reason. The same applies to those that think the
> absence of a DNS PTR record increases security or trust with other
> entities, this is just a flawed outlook IMO.

I'll agree on the lack of PTR records. But the Hosting company idea is
complete and total BULL. If I use a hosting company that will let me
have the kind of log file access I need to save my a** with my boss more
often than I care to think about then they I'm going to be paying
upwards of $20/mo for that, on top of my cable modem fees. You may be
wealthy, but I barely scrape by from one paycheck to another. I cannot
afford an extra $20/mo!

> Lastly, perhaps I have better luck than most, but I just do not accept the
> 'My ISPs mailserver sucks' argument as an acceptable reason for not sending
> your email through their gateway. If their mailserver sucks so bad, then
> how is the rest of their service? At least in the USA, there are too many
> options to not pick a better ISP.

Guess again! As I've stated, there are a total of TWO, yes, TWO
companies in my area that provide high speed connections. The Phone Co,
and the Cable Co. And the phone co keeps saying I cannot get DSL, so
that leaves CableModem. So I'm back to what I said origionally. Either
get my Cable Co to give me a static IP/Reverse DNS pointer, or tell my
PHONE copmany to get a DSL to me and I'll quit griping. But UNTIL a
Static IP is POSSIBLE for me, Don't go telling me what I should do just
because it works for you.

--
-- Dan