RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Edgar Lovecraft
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
Mike 'Fraz' White wrote:

> > > Don't tell me, there's an RFC somewhere that says it has to be done
> > > this way ;o)
> >
> > I never did say that there was an RFC that says that.
>
> ---8<---
>
> I did stick a little winky smiley in there Edgar :-)

Yes I know there was (is), that was for clarification to others as I tend
to get into RFC discussions quite frequently :)

> > My point is this,
>
> --8<--
>
> We're not all in a position to have 'proper' DNS, sad fact of life. All
> I'm suggesting is that for those 'minnows' out here that can be bothered
> to take the time to run a network server as responsibly as they can
> within the limitations that they have, is that just maybe there could be
> some sort of testing system,possibly as suggested by the maintainers of
> the current RBLs, that would enable them/us to do just that whilst at
> the same time keeping the bigger fish happy. After all noone
> particularly likes spam/viruses etc do we :-)

The only problem with this, if you are on DHCP you can go 'test clean' on
that IP address, however, since it is DHCP, that IP address may be active
on some ohter host in the morning, and you have a new IP address. You
'test clean' again, they SPAM, etc. etc. etc... This is why 'network
services' in this case SMTP servers, need to be on static IP addresses that
will not be changing, or have the opportunity to change, that often. In
you case, you mentioned that you have 2 IP addresses in the last 18/24
months, or 36 months combined (I don't remember), at any case, for long
periods of time. That is a benifit to you, but does not hold water in all
cases, I have seen some DUL style connections change IP addresses several
times a day. Perhaps, you could just ask your provider for a static IP. :)

> > Lastly, perhaps I have better luck than most, but I just do not accept
> > the 'My ISPs mailserver sucks' argument as an acceptable reason for not
> > sending your email through their gateway. If their mailserver sucks so
> > bad, then how is the rest of their service? At least in the USA, there
> > are too many options to not pick a better ISP.
>
> There's one cable company operating in my area and the actual raw
> connection has been damn near perfect (as stated elsewhere less than 72
> hours of downtime in 5 years including 2 house moves),unfortunately
> their SMTP,news etc has not been so reliable (although getting better it
> must be said). I like the control that running my own server gives me,
> no wondering if the mail is stuck in a queue somewhere because my ISPs
> server is temporarily overloaded for any reason.

You could be enterprising and go work for them in that area of service :)

> Yes I could switch to an ADSL provider & see if they're any better but
> that would also involve me switching telco providers as I can't have
> adsl via my cable telephone line.

I do understand, but still, you could move providers, I never said it
would be easy. :P

--

--EAL--