Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Edgar Lovecraft
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
Dan Egli wrote:

> > How about domains = !+local
>
> Defeats the purpose here.

Ok?? it was just an example of sending all but what you keep to the
smarthost, rather than sending only some of it there.

(some language has been edited, but is marked that way)

> > Even though, all your email should be sent this way.
>
> I'm sorry, but **EDITED**. There are so many things that I do on my mail
> server that it would be like pulling teeth to even TRY and get my cable
> provider to do! And Cable is the ONLY residential Highspeed option where
> I live. The local phone Co (Qwest) is NORTIROIUS for placing
> multiplexers and load coils on their lines, thus ensuring NO DSL
> capability. I've called every three months for two years asking if I can
> get DSL. The answer is ALWAYS "Sorry, but no". Any Estimates? No.
> So, short of getting a leased line from some ISP backbone company (like
> maybe McLoud USA or something) tell me what option I have? My cable
> companie's Mail server is less than even "somewhat" reliable. It's down
> all together more often than I care to think about. Not to mention the
> trackability factor! If the mail goes from my system to it's destination
> and is accepted I can say for absolute that it was delivered. If it goes
> to my ISP's mail server, then who knows. This kind of trackability has
> saved my **EDITED** at work more than once.

Here is MY point, if you are running a vanity domain at your home, then
suck it up. If you are trying to run any kind of 'business class'*
network service, www, smtp, other, then pay the extra money for those
capabilities, even if that means renting a 56k leased line just to do SMTP.
There are just to many problems when trying to run any kind of 24/7
application on any kind of DHCP address or DUL style connection, highspeed
or not.

> > The main disadvantage is that it is a lot of extra work, when you
> > should just be sending all your email to the smarthost in this case.
>
> Read the above!

Why?  what was suggested is this:
smarthost to your ISP only when needed because someone rejected your
    connection, then send the rest direct.

Two routers, just to bypass some hosts that reject dynamic IP address
connections just seems to be too much work to me (to me, but then again I
do not have to support this), when you can avoid the entire situation by
just sending all email to the ISP smarthost.

*People always complain when I use that term, but it is very simple,
    'business class' service is static IP addresses, proper DNS settings
    for any IP address/service/domain that is used (PTR/A/CNAME/MX/etc.)
    where you, the person running the service, expects to have 24/7
    access to your equipment, and trouble free connections to every one
    elses services without them having to guess at whether or not it came
    from your business or is just another script-kiddie playing around on
    thier highspeed cable connection.

--

--EAL--