Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Dan Egli
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
Edgar Lovecraft wrote:

> Dan Egli wrote:
>
>>>How about domains = !+local
>>
>>Defeats the purpose here.
>

> Ok?? it was just an example of sending all but what you keep to the
> smarthost, rather than sending only some of it there.

True, but the purpose of the message was to show how someone is doing
something different.

> Here is MY point, if you are running a vanity domain at your home, then
> suck it up. If you are trying to run any kind of 'business class'*
> network service, www, smtp, other, then pay the extra money for those
> capabilities, even if that means renting a 56k leased line just to do SMTP.
> There are just to many problems when trying to run any kind of 24/7
> application on any kind of DHCP address or DUL style connection, highspeed
> or not.

I barely get by on the income I Have. Do you think I could afford to do
a 56k lesed line? The thougt has occured to me before. But financially
speaking it's just not an option. And the "vanity" domain is only one of
about three domains going to this machine. I also have a domain that I'm
in process of connecting right now which is not a "vanity domain". If I
was JUST running eglifamily.dnsalias.net then it would be one thing. But
since I'm also running (or about to be running) frankenstein-cpu.com
(just waiting on my CC company to tell me the funds are available and
I'm taking the domain), it's a different story. A COMPLETELY different
story.

> Why?  what was suggested is this:
> smarthost to your ISP only when needed because someone rejected your
>     connection, then send the rest direct.

That is what I'm doing currently but this whole debate started up when
someone (I thougt you, if I'm wrong I appoligise) said that I should
smarthost EVERYTHING.

> *People always complain when I use that term, but it is very simple,
>     'business class' service is static IP addresses, proper DNS settings
>     for any IP address/service/domain that is used (PTR/A/CNAME/MX/etc.)
>     where you, the person running the service, expects to have 24/7
>     access to your equipment, and trouble free connections to every one
>     elses services without them having to guess at whether or not it came
>     from your business or is just another script-kiddie playing around on
>     thier highspeed cable connection.

I would not argue but ComCast does not offer Business CableModem
service. So until they either offer it or the phone company gets their
Butts in gear and fixes the lines I'm kinda stuck with residential service.