Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smartho…

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smarthosts?
On 22 Apr 2004 at 8:10, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" w":

| Chad Walstrom wrote:

| > I have a persnickity smarthost that doesn't understand the "AUTH="
| > option to the MAIL command, yet requires smtp authentication.

| AUTH= isn't right. Any mailserver that supports AUTH will not have that
| = there. For example:

Chad isn't talking about the EHLO response, he's talking about the
optional AUTH=addr-spec parameter the sending server can (and I guess
exim does) include on the MAIL FROM: command when sending to a server
with which it has authenticated. See Section 5 of RFC 2554.

It's an interesting question. The parameter is described as
optional, but the language includes some MUSTs that require a relay
server to pass along AUTH=<> in some cases.

In any case, FWIW I certainly wouldn't call the lack of an exim
option to suppress AUTH= on MAIL FROM a bug.

- Fred