Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smartho…

Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
A: Chad Walstrom
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smarthosts?
Chad Walstrom wrote:

> I have a persnickity smarthost that doesn't understand the "AUTH="
> option to the MAIL command, yet requires smtp authentication.

AUTH= isn't right. Any mailserver that supports AUTH will not have that
= there. For example:

suresh@frodo 08:02:47 [~]$ telnet frodo.hserus.net 25
Trying 3ffe:401d:1f00:b::2...
Connected to frodo.hserus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 frodo.hserus.net ESMTP NO UCE
ehlo frodo.hserus.net
250-frodo.hserus.net Hello frodo.hserus.net [3ffe:401d:1f00:b::2]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
quit
221 frodo.hserus.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

To set up AUTH to a smarthost using exim as a client, try
http://www.hserus.net/exim.html

Of course it just might mean that you will have to stop using eximconfig
/ debconf and configure exim by hand ... but that's a good thing.

    srs

--
linux@??? (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
jaharkes@ravel:/usr/src$ mv linux Gnu/Linux