Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Thomas Fini Hansen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:42:19PM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> MUA software problems must be defined seperatly from the MTA software,
> weather that MTA software be Exchange or Exim or Sendmail...

I've never heard anyone justify Exim or Sendmail on the server with
any particular client. The fact that these people want to use features
that Outlook only have with Exchange at the server, is the only reason
they care about the server in the first place. Sticking you head in
the bush and keep saying that Exchange is pretty decent in itself, is
a bit like saying that Windows is pretty secure in the default install
if you don't plug it into a network. True, but pretty useless in the
real world.

> > What alternatives is there to Outlook and OWE (that you can actually get
> > people to use)? That's basically the problem that needs to be fixed
> > before people will accept Exchange as more as just an extension of
> > Outlook.
>
> There are alternatives, but how widely used any of them are I do not know.

I'd think that if there was a *decent* alternative to Outlook that
we'd have some clueful admins screaming their name at every oppotunity
they get. I take the fact that I don't hear them, as proof that they
don't really exist.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would be deligted to hear
about alternatives to Outlook, or Outlook Express, that we could
actually convince our users to use. The problem is they're stubborn
little bastards and some of them are not gonna take anything but
something that looks, smells and behaves like Outlook.

--
Thomas
beast@???