Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
Thomas Fini Hansen wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:31:48PM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> > Here again, Exchange is not the MUA, but the web-scripts are.
>
> I hear ya point, but I think you're overlooking something here. People
> don't buy Exchange for its superior SMTP capabilities, people buy
> Exchange because of Outlook.

Perhaps, but Outlook is a standalone product from Exchange, and there are
other products that can connect and use the groupware functions of Exchange
apart from OWA and Outlook.

> Imagine the stares the original poster would get, if his reply to the
> Exchange inquiries was 'Exchange? Sure, great choice there, but, uhm,
> you can't use OWA or Outlook...'
>
> It's sort of turning the whole problem on the head, if you pull out the
> parts of Exchange people on this list have issues with, you also pull
> out the things that's making people want Exchange in the first place.

That is a different question, but lets add OutLook Express, and many other
MUA softwares that break RFC's in some part. But here again, the flaws in
the connecting client are not the flaws of the MTA. Also, to be fair to
the argument, almost ALL Windows users are going to use either MS Outlook
or MS Outlook Express regardless of having an Exchange server or not.

As to the 'pulling out the parts' fine with me if there again they want to
to tell me what the problem is and with what software the problem is and
with what version of that software the problem is, otherwise it does no
good, as those same arguments could be made as to why Exim is flawed.

MUA software problems must be defined seperatly from the MTA software,
weather that MTA software be Exchange or Exim or Sendmail...

> What alternatives is there to Outlook and OWE (that you can actually get
> people to use)? That's basically the problem that needs to be fixed
> before people will accept Exchange as more as just an extension of
> Outlook.

There are alternatives, but how widely used any of them are I do not know.

--

--EAL--