Re: [Exim] FIY: Turn off virus alerts to sender (slightly OT…

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Calum Mackay, Tim Jackson
CC: exim-users, Willie Viljoen
Subject: Re: [Exim] FIY: Turn off virus alerts to sender (slightly OT)
--On Wednesday, February 11, 2004 18:42:10 +0000 Calum Mackay <calum.mackay@???> wrote:

> I note that the current exiscan docs have as an example:
>
> deny message = This message contains malware ($malware_name)
>       demime = *
>       malware = *

> which will of course cause a virus warning bounce back to the forged
> sender. Since many of us use exiscan, and are likely to follow its
> documentation, perhaps someone should ask Duncan to discuss this issue
> further in the docs?

No, this doesn't bounce the message, it blocks it at SMTP time with
an appropriate error code. That is -exactly- the right thing to do.

It is not trusting any header, or even the envelope contents; just
notifying the agent that is actually attempting to send the message.
(And if that agent is another MTA that didn't recognize the virus
and -does- generate a bounce, that's their problem, not yours.)

-Pat