Re: [Exim] FIY: Turn off virus alerts to sender (slightly OT…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] FIY: Turn off virus alerts to sender (slightly OT)
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chris Edwards wrote:

> Deny means:
>
> - bona-fide senders get a bounce
> - spam/viruses disappear without annoying anyone
>
> It may sound too good to be true, but it is!

Well, yes, it is - except for viruses that have been forwarded from
somewhere else.

But that problem is not our responsibility, IMHO. If they try to
foist viruses on us, we have every right to refuse. (Though that got
me forcibly unsubscribed from a W3C mailing list, some time back; and
we recently also got some complaints from a mailing list admin that we
were deluging him in virus bounces, instead of quietly accepting the
crap that his mailing list was amplifying. I wasn't too amused.)

Incidentally (not that I'm blaming anyone in particular...), this
the subject line made it look like a pesky virus alert. I've had to
adjust that to let the mailing list discussion through without
having to go and thaw it every time....

cheers