Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:39:33 +0100, Nico Erfurth <masta@???>
wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> Being able to configure a package from the command line is a big
>> advantage if you need to build different flavors of the package from a
>> script or from your own makefile.
>
>And still, Philip is right, building a useable configure for exim isn't
>that easy. I'm currently working on it, and it's a quite tough bit of work.

I didn't contest that. Philip does a marvelous job in maintaining
exim.

>> It is quite a bit of effort to build the different exim flavours for
>> the Debian package, and handling the different EDITME files isn't that
>> easy at all. But Andreas has done a marvelous jobs with the
>> infrastructure.
>
>FYI, I've a working dynamic-loader patch for exim, it does not support
>all extensions yet, and is not really configureable (I'm trying to
>implement this in my configure script). But it works and I think this is
>a better approach than the current exim-light vs. exim-heavy approach
>debian is currently using, or the way some rpms go, by building
>seperated binaries for every feature.

The Debian exim4 packages are geared to adopt a dynamic-loader
approach once it has been released.

Let me check if I understood correctly: With the dynamic-loader
approach, the Debian package would only Recommend or Suggest
libmysqlclient and the other database clients, and the exim binary
would automatically be able to use them if they're installed, but
wouldn't fail if they're not installed?

Greetings
Marc