Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: Marc Haber, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim
On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 12:39, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> FYI, I've a working dynamic-loader patch for exim, it does not support
> all extensions yet, and is not really configureable (I'm trying to
> implement this in my configure script). But it works and I think this is
> a better approach than the current exim-light vs. exim-heavy approach
> debian is currently using, or the way some rpms go, by building
> seperated binaries for every feature.

This would be very useful.  There are 2 sets of exim build
customisations:-
      * OS features
      * Exim features

The fact that the features current mean you must build a very fat binary
(with dependencies on every available database library set) or build a
number to allow people to select features. I basically build a binary
per database type for the rpms (actually all have ldap support, but
there are mysql, pgsql, no sql etc versions).

I have wondered whether it would be better to indirect the database
issue by putting everything through a database adaptor layer - theres
one thats been discussed before that I cannot remember the name of at
this moment. However that would act as a database interface/caching
layer and also hold a small number of database connections open allowing
connection caching/sharing.

That means you require one additional piece of software as a dependency,
but you move the database dependencies a layer out.

    Nigel.