Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim
[Resent, because I forgot to CC to the list]

Marc Haber wrote:

>>FYI, I've a working dynamic-loader patch for exim, it does not support
>>all extensions yet, and is not really configureable (I'm trying to
>>implement this in my configure script). But it works and I think this is
>>a better approach than the current exim-light vs. exim-heavy approach
>>debian is currently using, or the way some rpms go, by building
>>seperated binaries for every feature.
>
> The Debian exim4 packages are geared to adopt a dynamic-loader
> approach once it has been released.
>
> Let me check if I understood correctly: With the dynamic-loader
> approach, the Debian package would only Recommend or Suggest
> libmysqlclient and the other database clients, and the exim binary
> would automatically be able to use them if they're installed, but
> wouldn't fail if they're not installed?

Ack, my current approach uses a new flag in lookup_info structures to
mark lookups which are compiled as shared objects. It tries to load a
referenced lookup, when search_findtype is called and unsets the flag on
success . When it can't load the needed .so it will fail with a lookup
unknown error. So it's transparent to the enduser, and the packager only
needs to build packages for the .so and maybe some symlinks (for modules
with more than one lookup-type like ldap).

Nico