Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding eciscan to exim
On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:08:46AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Nico Erfurth wrote:
>> Well, the current patch is far from being complete :)
>> It only supports the dl-interface (there are at least 2 others in the
>> wild) and is only tested on linux.

> If you're going to do this (which I think is a good thing) then you're
> wasting your time if you're not using libtool to do the job. Libtool
> already knows about a large number of platforms, what type of dynamic
> loader (if any) is supported, etc.

[...]

The major problem with libtool is that it seems to be optimized for
broken platforms. E.g. its library-support links a program against all
libraries that are indirectly referenced.

e.g: exim uses functions from libgnutls and is therefore linked against
it. libgnutls itself is linked against libgcrypt. However exim itself does
not use anyfuntions/interfaces from libgcrypt and does not need to be
linked against it if the dynamic linker is powerful enough (e.g on
Linux).

If you completely switched exim to auto*+libtool it would be
unnecessarily linked against libgcrypt, which is a PITA. - If a new
version (soname) of libgcrypt is uploaded and libgnutls is changed to
link against it, you have to unnecessarily recompile exim[1] and any
other software linked against libgnutls instead of only the software
using libgcrypt.

Libtool's dynamic loader support might be better, though.
             cu andreas
[1] If you don't you'll have to keep the old libgcrypt around and if
libgcrypt does not use versioned symbols you'll experience funny
crashes.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"