Re: [Exim] store and forward / proxy

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] store and forward / proxy
Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad said:
> tlabs wrote:
>
>>>Where do I find info about exim as a mailhub? Anybody got any
>>>experiences on this?
>> ye i use exim to do mailhubbing, what are you trying to do? Just

forward
>> mails to another location?
>
> yes. Forward it to the primary server... a (yuck) exchange

mailserver.....

> how do I set up the config file? and are there anything I need to be

careful about?

Exim is very flexible and configurable...

I have a server that is configured as a mail hub.

o All Unix and NT servers smart host to it.
o It sends all inbound user mail to an Exchange 5.5 servers
o It receives outbound mail from the Exchange 5.5 server to be sent out
to another Internet based server (also Exim) for delivery to the
Internet.
o It routes mail to and from Corp HQ via their mail servers (Sendmail) o
It works with another specilized mail hub that is in a strict DMZ that
communicates with stores all over the country for install errors and
configuration problems.
o and it has a fairly large table of what I call reroute_user that catches
all
kinds of things and reroutes them elsewhere or just plain blackholes
them
to change things on the fly if necessary.

Basically, it accepts anything and just directs it where it needs to go.
It has no virus or spam protection active on it since we do that already
both at the outside servers and in the Exchange servers, but is setup for
ClamAV and Spam Assassin as well as other Exiscan goodies in case it needs
to leap into action due to a problem inside our LAN (like a virus that
gets loose in the LAN). This has been activated several times and has
performed great.

It acts as a great reporter of what is going on too. Since all the mail
flows through it, you can easily see which servers are sending mail, to
whom, for what, what time, how long, what got stuck etc...

Its been a great tool for the current split up in that I can report
exactly what servers are doing what to whom and have done so on the fly
during conference calls. Exim logs are great.

If you want some specifics... shoot me a note.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums