Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Ron McKeating
CC: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam
On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:52, Ron McKeating wrote:
> Now it seems that btinternet are doing spam filtering at the smtp
> transaction and if it identifies a spam it breaks the connection with a
> defer. Is this normal? we are thinking of setting up exiscan to do this
> to emails with big spam scores but we were planning to do a deny, eg a
> 550 permanent error. The way bt are doing it, the email sits in our
> queue for 8 days and we constantly re-attempt to deliver it.

Doing this is exceptionally stupid as anything obeying the RFCs will try
to redeliver the message. They should instead give a permanent error
code in response to the end of data, and maybe then close the
connection.

I am remarkably unsurprised that BT have made quite such a stupid
mistake, since their capabilities as an ISP have been shown to be
lacking in every respect.

    Nigel.