Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:30:13 +0000 (GMT) Alan wrote:

> Incidentally, what does the team think about mails which are offered
> without their own message-id - are they ever bona fide?

Although I don't have any empirical data, I have a feeling I asked myself
the same question a while ago, investigated a bit, and decided that the
answer was "yes, occasionally, and enough that I wouldn't want to reject
based solely on the lack of a Message-ID, but a substantial majority are
spam".

SpamAssassin has a few tags to identify added-in-transit (including at
endpoint) Message-IDs:

MSGID_FROM_MTA_SHORT
MSGID_FROM_MTA_LATER
MSGID_FROM_MTA_BACKUP
MSGID_FROM_MTA_HOTMAIL
MSGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER

It adds a hefty score to MSGID_FROM_MTA_SHORT by default; I suppose it
might be worth trying notching it up a bit.

Tim