Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] permanent failure for spam
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Ron McKeating wrote:

> The way bt are doing it, the email sits in our
> queue for 8 days and we constantly re-attempt to deliver it.

Crazy - as others have said already.

> What do others do, should it be a defer or a permanent failure ?

I've sort-of considered dealing with borderline cases by issuing
defers for a few hours, to see if the sending IP turns up in Spamcop
or other blacklist, in which case we'd reject the offer, otherwise
we'd accept.

Since this is done at the DATA stage, then one does /normally/ have a
message-id to identify the item, so it might be feasible to recognise
the same item when it came around again.

But I've never actually done anything about implementing such a
solution.

Incidentally, what does the team think about mails which are offered
without their own message-id - are they ever bona fide?