Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: Thomas Fini Hansen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 11:17:24AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > If people feel so strongly about not doing this thinking it's a bad idea,
> > why does exim even support sql at all? Surely having users, aliases, etc
> > in sql is a performance hit as well (and according to some people should not
> > be done).
>
> Personally, I've never been very happy about it for optimum performance,[*]
> but some sites have low load and today's computers are so fast that it
> doesn't seem unreasonable for those who are not worried by performance
> issues.

Well, I for one think (I might be wrong) that our smallish connection
will get saturated long before MySQL starts dragging things down
enough for it to become a problem. At least as long as there's actual
mail involved, if someone started verifying senders at a rate where
MySQL becomes a bottleneck, I'd consider the slowdown a feature rather
than a bug. The added convinience is worth the small cost, until
someone convinces me of something else.

But have anyone actully done some tests, or just have some anecdotal
evidence as to where the limits are?

--
Thomas
beast@???