Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
<snip>
> --------------------
> [*] For myself, I'd always go for a two-stage scheme, for instance,
> extracting aliases from a database into a "live" cdb file for Exim to
> use.
>
> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
> Get the Exim 4 book:    http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book

While we are on the topic, quick question...

For a simple lookup, such as aliases (key : value), what is the approximate
breakpoint, in number of records, where it becomes better to use cdb instead
of a flat file?

I suppose it depends on the size of the records (and probably a bunch of stuff
like OS, disk type, CPU type, amount of free RAM, the phase of the moon,
etc.), but I am not looking for an exact answer, just a ball-park,
order-of-magnitude. 10? 100? 1000?

TIA,
Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.