Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I was only thinking about the installations that already heavily depend on
> SQL (as my install at work). The idea was to add an option to do this, not
> force everyone to do it.

Of course.

> If people feel so strongly about not doing this thinking it's a bad idea,
> why does exim even support sql at all? Surely having users, aliases, etc
> in sql is a performance hit as well (and according to some people should not
> be done).

Personally, I've never been very happy about it for optimum performance,[*]
but some sites have low load and today's computers are so fast that it
doesn't seem unreasonable for those who are not worried by performance
issues.

[*] For myself, I'd always go for a two-stage scheme, for instance,
extracting aliases from a database into a "live" cdb file for Exim to
use.