Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
Richard Welty wrote:

> if you're going to do this stuff in large scale operations, you need to
> recognize that database tuning is itself an art form. a good dba can make
> these things fly [1]. there is a requirement for the devotion of resources
> specifically to the database server itself. just running the db on the
> same box that you're running exim on will pretty seriously restrict the
> scalability of the design.

This is a bit OT now, but yes, you're right. I'm remembering a situation
around 2 years ago, I friend of mine was running an internetshop
(running with a commercial software) for a pretty big german
hardware-seller, the backend was mysql. When the site was more popular,
the machine started to slow down heavily.

We've analyzed the logfiles with a small perl-script I had wrote, and
changed the database a bit, added indexes, etc. The result was a shop
that was around 3 times faster than before.

So, never trust in a DB-Design that's shipped by some vendor, look at it
yourself :)

To go ontopic again, using a SQL database as a pure storage (Everything
with a single index is pure storage for me) is like shooting moles with
nukes ;)

Nico

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
pause and reflect.