Re: [Exim] Attachments and bounce messages

Author: Chris Bayliss
To: Chris Edwards
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Attachments and bounce messages
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:51:21PM +0100, Chris Edwards wrote:
> | The latest spate of viruses has caused someone to ask me if attachements
> | should be removed from messages that are returned with bounces.
> |
> | The problem is that Exim doesn't analyse message bodies in any way.
> | Properly sorting out MIME parts isn't trivial, as I understand it.
> |
> | Three fairly simple things could be done:
> |
> | 1. An option called bounce_return_body, defaulting TRUE, which, if
> |    turned off, would cause only the header to be returned in a bounce.
> |    I suspect few would set it. Should the default be FALSE?

> One of the nice things about Exim is that it returns a decent chunk of the
> messaage body. That way, when a bounce message gets bounced, its possible
> to see the headers of the *original email* - often a great benefit for
> troubleshooting.
>
> Setting bounce_return_body FALSE would break this (very useful) ability.
>
> I vote not to create such a feature, or, if it must be created, then make
> the default TRUE (existing behaviour).

I'd certainly be in favour of keeping the existing behaviour as the
default when any new features are added or changes made. If people
want to use the new feature they can do so. The rest of us don't then
have to remember to change configs at next update we perform to
maintain the currect facilities. We don't all put in every new
version and it is easy to forget a change that has been put in a few
versions ago.