[Exim] Attachments and bounce messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Attachments and bounce messages
The latest spate of viruses has caused someone to ask me if attachements
should be removed from messages that are returned with bounces.

The problem is that Exim doesn't analyse message bodies in any way.
Properly sorting out MIME parts isn't trivial, as I understand it.

Three fairly simple things could be done:

1. An option called bounce_return_body, defaulting TRUE, which, if
turned off, would cause only the header to be returned in a bounce.
I suspect few would set it. Should the default be FALSE?

2. An option called bounce_something which would do a simple job of
looking for a "boundary" in a Content-type: header, and just return
up to the second boundary - i.e. return only the first part of a
message, assuming that it is not an attachment. I'm not all that keen
on this one, because it is a hack.

3. The default value of return_size_limit is 100K. It could be reduced
to, say 10K.

Views?