Re: [Exim] Attachments and bounce messages

Author: Ollie Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Attachments and bounce messages
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:59:03PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> I'm trying to draw MTA operators attention to this - there are two
> issues here:
>
> - you're sending an unsolicited mail to someone who never contacted
> you in the first place. How is this any different from receiving
> an unwanted spam?

That is very true; one should not bounce messages with viruses attached which,
as you say, will probably have spoofed envelope senders. It's in everyone's
interests just to blackhole them.

However, if you don't know it's a virus, and you're not delivering it for some
other reason, you are obliged to try and deliver a bounce message.

Under those circumstances, we should try and be 'careful' and not transmit
the original body which could be harmlful, in my opinion.

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, Claranet UK
ollie@???                  020 7903 3065