Re: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to s…

Author: Walt Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
cdaehnn Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 05:04:54AM -0500, Cory Daehn said:
> Unless they're YOUR dialup customer, you should never allow mail sent
> directly from a dialup anyway. it should be RBL'ed. That's what ISP's
> have mail servers for.
>
> > >     501-connection rejected from
> > dial249.pm3abing3.abingdonpm.naxs.com remote address [216.98.75.249].

> > I suppose he can also reject your mail for being sent direct
> > from a dialup.
> >
> > Well, submitting that IP block to the easynet.nl dynablock /
> > other DULs will soon cure that.

Dialups are one thing, but lists like easynet.nl also block dynamic DSL
(which more and more ISP's are going to - even for business accounts.)

When your ISP (like Verizon) is running broken mail servers that don't
follow RFC's making it impossible to use, then what the hell do you do?
The short-sighted answer that some would give is to use another provider
or pay more money to some hosting company. This is not always an option.

Frankly, using lists like easynet.nl as a 100% go/no-go is
irresponsible as it leads to the blocking of legit mail. If it were used
as a tag, or as a score factor for something like spamassasin, fine.
Blocking purely on type of internet service is a kind of class
warefare, penalizing those who can't afford high-end service.