RE: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to s…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Exim] FWD: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Ron McKeating wrote:

> Yes but if the ISP insists it will only relay mail for addresses using
> its own domain name ie blah@??? then it is not much use if a
> member of staff wishes to send an important email from home and it needs
> to come from a University formal email address ie blah@???. So
> we have no choice but to get that person to connect to our mail server
> where we have configured it to allow them (and only them) to send email
> through.

Two workable approaches, at least

1. set the university's mail server to accept secure authentication
from such users. (We do that with our departmental server, it works
well for the users who have tried it).

2. get your university to set up a VPN that such users can connect to.
Then send mail through that.