Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
CC: Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira, Lawrence Walton, ph10, Miquel van Smoorenburg
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Exim on debian
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:07:02PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 02:55:23PM +0000, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>> You should talk to Marc Merlin he has spent a fair amount of
>> time creating 4.x packages, they are a little rough around the
>> edges, but for the most part great packages.

> Hopefully the edges will be a bit rounder now :-)
> But please, do help me make them even better.
> Although I have very little time, I'd really like to get some exim4 package
> in debian.

Hello,
Well, I tried to build them (4.10-6mm), there are still some of very
sharp edges:

* debian/rules build ; debian/rules clean ; debian/rules build fails:
| patch -p1 < debian/exim4.gooderror.diff
| patching file src/acl.c
| Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

* eximon4 does not Conflict with eximon
* Lots and lots of lintian errors, some of the _grave_, e.g.
file-in-etc-not-marked-as-conffile etc/cron.d/exim
* still uses suidregister in postinst - is this package based on
the antique 3.22-2?
* breaks policy 10.5. "If a package wants to install a job that has to
be executed via cron, it should place a file with the name of the
package..." Your package is named exim4 not exim.
etc.

While I value your work, especially the part with properly including
spam-assassin, this package does not yet fulfills debian's standards.

Especially the fact that it does not properly use Debian's conffile
management and therefore breaks switching between exim and exim4 would
give it a release critical bug immediately and makes it unfit even for
experimental. BTW imho it should use /etc/exim4/ instead of /etc/exim/

Don't use this package yet.

Looks like I'll have to take a shot at exim4 myself.

Sorry if these words seem harsh, my command of the English language is
not well enough for saying this more politely. Please correct me
immediately if I accidentally tested an old outdated version - I used
4.10-6mm.
                  cu andreas