Re: [Exim] step by step guide

Author: John (TJ) Penton
To: Johannes Reichardt
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [Exim] step by step guide
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Johannes Reichardt wrote:

> still i am the guy who wants to *only* forward all messages,
> the line that nico suggested didnt work, actually happens nothing,
> some mails got stuck in the queue, after configuring around nothing
> happened anymore, they mails where just *gone*.

If the mails were gone, did they not get forwarded to the correct address?

An alternative to Nico's solution is a system filter file (I suggest
section 39: System-wide message filtering). It should probably contain
the line:

    deliver <email address>

I think Phillip would probably say that this is using a sledgehammer to
crack a nut.

> i know that i could solve this if i would study all that (badly
> searchable)
> documentation on exim.org but i guess what i am looking for is a simple
> howto
> like "simple steps for stupid people to run my first simple mailsever
> with exim"
> - or something like that.

Try searching on google for:
    "forward all mail" site:exim.org

> so this is what i would need - a newbie howto (sorry i just dont feel
> like
> reading through all that docs) - or maybe someone who understands my
> case and
> gives me some important hints in the right direction -
>
> here is a small list of things i would like to have answered more
> obvious on exim.org:
>
>     - whats the big difference of exim3 and 4?
>     - should i upgrade exim if i am a common debian user?

Look at section 1.1-Documentation (since that is what you are after).
You'll find that in the exim tar is:
    "Exim4.upgrade   upgrade notes from release 3 to release 4"
which fulfils your needs.

>     - simple overview of what its all about (the mailerdeamon
> specific basics)

How's about going to www.exim.org and clicking on "Overview Documentation"
Or, in the main documentation look at section 3 "How exim receives and
delivers mail".

>     - advantages and differences to qmail and others famous mailers
>     - a few howtos with short explanation for common cases (like
> "life with qmail" for exim)
>     - FAT links that lead to the points above.

What do you mean by "FAT"?

--
"Bring what?"
"Things to eat."