Re: [Exim] step by step guide

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Johannes Reichardt
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] exim installation annoyance
Subject: Re: [Exim] step by step guide
Johannes Reichardt wrote:
> hello all,
>
> still i am the guy who wants to *only* forward all messages,
> the line that nico suggested didnt work, actually happens nothing,
> some mails got stuck in the queue, after configuring around nothing
> happened anymore, they mails where just *gone*.

Mails are never just gone, check your logs.

> i know that i could solve this if i would study all that (badly
> searchable)
> documentation on exim.org but i guess what i am looking for is a simple
> howto
> like "simple steps for stupid people to run my first simple mailsever
> with exim"
> - or something like that.

Try spec.txt from the exim sources and READ it completly, running a
mailserver is more than starting the daemon.

> so this is what i would need - a newbie howto (sorry i just dont feel
> like
> reading through all that docs) - or maybe someone who understands my
> case and
> gives me some important hints in the right direction -

IIRC the same director worked for other people, but without some
debug-output or logentries noone can help you.

> here is a small list of things i would like to have answered more
> obvious on exim.org:
>
>     - whats the big difference of exim3 and 4?

1.) more flexible relay checking via ACLs
2.) local_scan interface
3.) No more directors, just routers

>     - should i upgrade exim if i am a common debian user?

Depends on what you want to do, but exim4 is worth a try.

>     - simple overview of what its all about (the mailerdeamon
> specific basics)

Hu?

>     - advantages and differences to qmail and others famous mailers

Comapring mailers is not an easy task, it depends on what you want to do
etc. IMHO exim is the most flexible mailer i know, and i tried them all.

If you know a little bit about SMTP and how a MTA should work it's very
easy to configure exim.

>     - a few howtos with short explanation for common cases (like
> "life with qmail" for exim)

Exim is too flexible for this, but you can read the docs and download
the configure examples from the ftp.

The default exim configuration will work out of the box on simple mail
system, without the need to change something.

http://www.exim.org

> sorry if you feel like i am someone who is not able to read the manuals,
> actually i read
> a lot but didnt found the red line through it yet - and exim is the
> program i spend most time
> with without just *any* success.

You should read the WHOLE documentation, i think the most people here
did it.

ciao

P.S. This is no flame, but did anyone else recognize that many debian
people are asking such question, and you know they never read the docs?