Re: [Exim] step by step guide

Author: Michael Scott Shappe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] step by step guide
Quoting Nico Erfurth <masta@???>:

> Try spec.txt from the exim sources and READ it completly, running a
> mailserver is more than starting the daemon.

and

> You should read the WHOLE documentation, i think the most people here
> did it.

Particulary in the (not-for-much-longer) absence of a 2d Edition Exim Book,
this advice really can't be stressed strongly enough. I didn't read the
whole documentation, but only because I've been doing this mail-admin thang
for 10 years and have monkeyed with enough other MTAs (sendmail (4, 5,
5+ida, 8), smail, PP, zmailer) that I know what it's supposed to do. I just
need to scan the docs to find out how exim, specifically, does specific
things.

(On the other hand, today I discovered the hard way that Exim does not have
certain limiters turned on by default; if I'd RTFD, I'd have known that
before one of my boxes got swamped).

But if you don't already know MTAs inside and out...RTFD. Then RTFD again.
And if you think you don't understand something, go back for a third
reading. Don't start the daemon running until you've done this.

/m