Re: [Exim] Exim 4.x + Cyrus 2.1.x == Mess :)

Author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
To: Matt Sealey
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.x + Cyrus 2.1.x == Mess :)
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Matt Sealey wrote:

>Does anyone know of any foolproof guides on how to configure Exim 4 and
>Cyrus 2.1.x so that they work in harmony?

No. While I use cyrus imapd I find the docs awful and the code only a little
better :-(

>I just seem to be having a lot of troubles with it.

ditto...

>* Get mail from outside world to Exim (easy, it does this okay already)
>* Get Exim to deliver to Cyrus (any old how)

I use deliver the old way, which works, but you still have to enable lmtp in
exim. Probably using explicit lmtp from exim is better:

imap_delivery:
driver = pipe
command = "/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -a ${local_part} -e ${local_part}"
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
user = cyrus
group = mail
initgroups
log_output
message_prefix =
message_suffix =
retry_use_local_part
return_output
return_path_add
current_directory = /tmp

>* Get Cyrus to work (any old how :)

Almost as hard as setting up sendmail :-/

>* Get both to use /etc/passwd or so to authenticate both SMTP AUTH and IMAP

config cyrus to use saslauthd (you'll need imapd v2.x, not 1.x) and use
saslauthd -a pam

>In Exim 3 I tried to make it so that basically you couldn't relay mail
>unless you were sending from the local LAN (192.168.0.*) or were
>authenticated. Setting it up to authenticate was a NIGHTMARE even

... get exim set up first, delivering to files; cyrus is hard enough without
worrying about exim problems too.

--
Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Software engineer and technical writer.