RE: [Exim] Exim 4.x + Cyrus 2.1.x == Mess :)

Author: Mark McRitchie
To: 'Matt Sealey'
CC: 'Exim Users (exim-users@exim.org)'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim 4.x + Cyrus 2.1.x == Mess :)
> From: Matt Sealey [mailto:matt@kittycat.co.uk]

> Does anyone know of any foolproof guides on how to configure
> Exim 4 and
> Cyrus 2.1.x so that they work in harmony?

Foolproof? Feh!

Took me a while to work out this malarky.

> I just seem to be having a lot of troubles with it. I checked past
> archives of exim-users and lo and behold there are plenty of questions
> but zero answers. I hope I can get something this time :)
>
> Basically the to-do for my setup are as follows:
>
> * Get mail from outside world to Exim (easy, it does this
> okay already)
> * Get Exim to deliver to Cyrus (any old how)

My setup involves users accounts stored in MySQL which exim uses to validate
accounts, before passing them to this router:

virtual_delivery:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver \
        -m ${substr_1:${local_part_suffix}} \
        -- ${local_part}"
        return_output
        user = cyrus
        group = mail
        log_output
        message_prefix =
        message_suffix =
        envelope_to_add = true
        return_path_add = true

I found it somewhere on the net and all I can say is it works for me!

> * Get Cyrus to work (any old how :)

You need to copy one of the suggested configs to /etc/cyrus.conf and then
write an /etc/imapd.conf file

> * Get both to use /etc/passwd or so to authenticate both SMTP
> AUTH and IMAP

Exim has support for pam if you compiled it in. My Exim setup checks the
passwords direct against MySQL, bypassing pam.

Relevant snippit of /etc/imapd.conf :

cleartextloginpause: 5
autocreatequota: 10000
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

Then configure pam as appropriate. (I'm using pam_mysql but I think I'll be
moving to pam_nssmysql sometime in the near future)

I've also got my init script to start/stop exim/cyrus/saslauthd all
together.

HTH & Good Luck!
Mark.

Salamis Group of Companies - WWW.SALAMISGROUP.COM

This communication contains information which is confidential and may
also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) be advised
that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication
or the information it contains is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. We apologise if you have received this communication in
error. Please return it to the sender immediately, delete this
communication from your computer and destroy any copies of it. Any
views/opinions expressed in this email are that of the author and may
not reflect the views of Salamis (M&I)Ltd.