Re: [Exim] [howto] Upgrade from ver-3 to ver-4?

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Subject: Re: [Exim] [howto] Upgrade from ver-3 to ver-4?
On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 05:23:26AM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> saying: "upgrading is a non-trivial exercise" I was wondering if
> there is any "gotcha" howto's for this.
>
> This is on a RedHat-6.2 machine. I'm open to a full reinstall
> if that is what it'll take.

My trick was to run the convert4r4 script, and then write a new config
by hand from that (it got quite a bit of it wrong, and there were some
nasties I wanted to fix anyway). I made a few mistakes, notably, in
advertising TLS, I found that pine crashes unless I make sure it doesn't
advertise it over -bs connections, so:
tls_advertise_hosts = : *

I also made some minor mistakes with some of my "no_verify" and
"verify_only" routing tricks, but I suspect those won't apply to you.

If you have mailman, you need to make sure the require_files option (if
you cut and pasted the config) uses either <; at the beginning, or is of
the form:

I think those were all the ones I hit, though.

Above all, try everything you can think of to test various addresses
before you deploy it. (mainly with such things as -bs, -bm, telnet
localhost (probably high port), telnet real-hostname (probably high
port), and see if you can exercise every one of your routers with the
addresses you use.

MBM