Re: [Exim] [howto] Upgrade from ver-3 to ver-4?

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Bill Schoolcraft
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [howto] Upgrade from ver-3 to ver-4?
tir, 2002-10-08 kl. 14:23 skrev Bill Schoolcraft:

> I've been following this list and realize I'll be needing to
> upgrade from 3 to 4.
> Reading Philip Hazel's quote here:
> http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2002/prog/abstract-PHazel-1.shtml

> saying: "upgrading is a non-trivial exercise" I was wondering if
> there is any "gotcha" howto's for this.

> This is on a RedHat-6.2 machine. I'm open to a full reinstall
> if that is what it'll take.

Red Hat 7.2++++, gcc 3.0.4

Actually, I just wanted an excuse for pointing out how fantastic Exim
is, again (just managed a fresh "LDAP doggy jumps through new hoop".)

January last I decided to upgrade from 3 to 4. It *was* trivial.

With the 4.1x download, you get a perl script,
./build-version/convert4r4. With it you can convert most of your v3
configure config file to v4. It seems to take "outputfile inputfile" as
arguments. It makes some mistakes, but not many.

If you only have the one machine to practice on, you run a test server
on another port, for ex. in the Exim v4 main configuration:

local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0.9009

Or you don't even have to run it as a daemon, just in -d (debug) mode,
with its v4 config file given by '-C /path/to/v4config/file'. Then it
doesn't run as a daemon.

Then you open the supplied spec.txt (all the html documentation on the
web is useless, the pdf or ps suchlike is better) in your exim build
directory and read it thoroughly, then you start trying things out.
Honestly, there's no better way. You have to keep on going back to the
spec.txt doc, though, and trying tings out.

Consult the mail list archives after Jan. 2002 often, since most
questions you'll have have been answered there. I have everything since
Nov. 15th last on my hard disk.

After a while, you'll have gone over to Exim 4 and feel pity on those
who haven't.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"There are many people who can't face the truth ... If you rob a
normal person of life's lies, at the same time you'll be robbing
him of his happiness."

>From Henrik Ibsen's "Vildanden", "The wild Duck."

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:    http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981