Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: exim-users
CC: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
Here my opinion and a request:
1. I think that you are both right, he in requiring the remove of his
posts, you in keeping the archives.
2. I am not a legal expert, but i have on hand the italian law, that is
based on the EU one.
The 675 law give someone the right to ask cancellation of his
personal data from an archive, so Nigel should just modify the
occurrences of this person name and address in the archives (it is
just a simple batch command). The law say also that the one that
collected the data should pass the request to all other people to
whic the data have been given, but a exception is made if that
should be infeasible or inconvenient (in this case the only way
should be sending a message to every subscriber of the list asking
to remove a certain name [given] from their archives. just the
opposite the fellow wanted !).
On the other part the author right's law give him the right to ask the
remotion of all his postings from the archives, but, under ordinary
circumstances it would be at his/her expense (sho he/she should
pay you the time you need to purge the archives). Also this does
not apply to copies given to end users [the original law applies also
to copies given to public libraries so it would include also copied on
public archives such google !!!].
3. So if it had occurred to me I would have removed h??
name/address from archives, but at the same time i would have
asked h?? if i had to purge also archives, but that operation would
have had a cost to be paid from someone (given that the post was
given for free it is possible that would have been asked just a
nominal fee).
4. apart from this occurrence, is there a quick way to remove a
message from archives of mailman, for example if a message has
wrong informations ?

On 23 Apr 2002, at 17:51, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I have been served a take down notice for the exim-users archives due
> to some idiot deciding he wants his postings edited out of the
> archive.
> This is under the UK and EU Data Protection Act. I personally don't
> think its legal, but to fight it I need to indemnify Energis against
> any loss they may suffer.
> For now the messages have been made inaccessible. However I can't
> afford to do this sort of thing in terms of time its going to take me
> etc.
>
> So I need to decide a course of action:-

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze