Re: [Exim] Re: closed connection in response to STARTTLS.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: closed connection in response to STARTTLS.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Er, how does it know that the server in question advertised STARTTLS
> capability?

The first Exim tells it! It's all documented; see the -MCT option.

> All of those are somewhat suboptimal given that this is traffic from my
> primary MX box to the place where I actually forward my mail at the moment.
> It's not just a 'second' mail - there's quite a lot.

This is a consequence of what was originally envisaged as a relatively
rare exception case (handling messages that couldn't be immediately
delivered) escalating into a primary delivery method. I'm afraid my
fallback position is going to have to be "I didn't write it for that
kind of use".

> When there's a lot of mail on the queue, does Exim re-exec for _every_
> message, or just after the first to turn into a queue runner process which
> delivers all the rest? If the latter, perhaps we should just gracefully
> close every connection with TLS active before re-exec'ing, rather than
> passing the fd to the child?

It forks and re-execs for every message, because the original process
may be carrying on with other deliveries for other recipients.

And note that a queue runner process doesn't deliver messages. For each
one, *it* forks too, but it doesn't re-exec.