Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests

Author: Chris Bayliss
To: Andromeda
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
> At 17:51 23/04/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >I have been served a take down notice for the exim-users archives due to
> >some idiot deciding he wants his postings edited out of the archive.
> >
> >This is under the UK and EU Data Protection Act. I personally don't
> >think its legal, but to fight it I need to indemnify Energis against any
> >loss they may suffer.
>
> Having just spoken to a lawyer friend about this, you don't have a choice
> but to, Nigel. Sadly, I have to concur with Chris Bayliss, especially where
> the lack of test cases is concerned. And the fact that the proceedings that
> follow are CRIMINAL, not CIVIL, makes it so much more an issue.

Who is the notice from? If its just a request to take things down from
the data subject this would surely be be civil (but not something that
an individual would like to fight).

> If you can find one of those freedom-of-expression organisations who are
> willing to fight this whole drama for you to press the case, so much the
> better.

The problem is that these organisations exist to protect the
individual from the data controllers. The DPA is arguably weighted
far too much towards the data subject. I cannot imagine any such
organisation fighting for the rights of a data controller. A
philanthropic wealthy company who would be prepared to host the
archive and fight would be a better bet. Are there any such
organisations who have benefited sufficiently from exim that are in
such a position?