Re: [Exim] Web based admin

Author: Patrick Kirk
To: 'Exim Users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Web based admin
#! On Fri, Sep 07, 2001, Phil Pennock wrote:

>[ this does, torturously, come back to being on-topic ]
>
>various roles. GUIs won't make this simpler. People bothering to refer
>to the manual or the FAQ will, or now the O'Reilly book.
>
>Someone complained about losing contracts: perhaps selling training in
>the concepts, pointing out the longer-term benefits of this? Bundle in

Actually, on careful brooding, I wonder if the answer is to simply not
tell them its there..or say its locked down so there's nothing to
configure. When I sell a firewall, I make a bit but its on the
follow-ups like support I make money. People like to be able to add and
remove users using a gui. But really, they don't need to think about
what a relay is. Just tell them it works and that any tinkering
vitiates the support contract.

> Gartner numbers suggest that Exchange and Notes cost $25/user/month
> to own. IMAP comes out at $10/user/mo and Webmail at $2/user/month.
> I always have doubts about TCO numbers, but cite these for their
> comparison value.

That's not comparing like with like. Just because Exchange and Notes
use email as part of their groupware/knowledge management toolsets
doesn't make them smtp servers. Both are cheap ways of sharing
calendars and managing remote workers. Exim doesn't aim to do either.

>Bob Martin noted:
>
> MS says you need an MCSE to run 2k, and you need an MCP for exchange.
> They aren't kidding. NT has nearly always been as complex as Unix, and
> exchange is it's own sub OS. MS has owned up to this and dropped the
> zero admin hype.

Hear hear. Nothing annoys me more than people who run about calling
themselves NT Systems Administrators yet their main skill is changing
backups tapes.
>Homework. Not something you stop when you leave school (and my teachers
>would laugh at me now).
>
>(plug: both those quotes are from posts to sage-members; professional
> sysadmin who aren't already members might wish to look at
> <http://www.sage.org>; SAGE = System Administrators Guild, a Special
> Technical Group of USENIX. )
>--
>Perl allows you to be paradigmatic without being "paradogmatic" - Larry Wall

Its a shame no-one has developed a Webmin module for Exim when Postfix and
Sendmail are both supported. But perhaps it reflects the fact the Exim
is very easy to set up and then just ignore forever. I had it on Debian
for years and never even know it existed. It just works. If you do
need to configure it, you won't be using Webmin.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

--

Patrick "a sig, a sig, my kingdom for a sig" Kirk

GSM: +44 7876 560 646
ICQ: 42219699