Re: [Exim] Web based admin

Author: Richard rebel
To: Derek Broughton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Web based admin
Here here for a common sense answer!

I often create web/gui interfaces for myself and others, most oftly to:

    Automate regular/mundane tasks.
    Prevent engineer/sa 'oopses'.
    Enable less experienced users to do my work for me. ;)
    Win points with the boss/customer.  (oooh magic buttons...)

Frankly, SMTP MTA administration is overly complex and requires lots of
background knowledge to handle, especially for critical or high volume
sites. I have read so much SMTP MTA related literature that frankly I
cannot possibly remember all of it all of the time.

People get it off, sh*t happens, and engineers make mistakes (sometimes
really really stuuuupid ones).

Now, aside from this lil argument thread, I did not see anyone post any
pointers to web based admin tools for Exim right? Does anyone have a
start at one? Maybe a webmin module? I just deployed a new mail system
for my employers web/domain hosting customers based on Exim and would be
interested. Eventually we'll end up writing something I am sure, but
after the 'crash' I only have 3 people in my organization who are
proficient beyond simple init scripts, so it'll be a while.

So, if someone has a start at one, perhaps I or someone at the office can
contribute.

Best,

Richard F. Rebel