RE: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as …

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: David Searles
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as a temporary failure
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, David Searles wrote:

> We must use their relay because places like AOL and other huge mail
> recipients will not accept inbound SMTP from dynamically assigned IP
> addresses

Agreed.

> These 550's occur fairly rarely (once out of 750-1000 outbound mails;
> probably some timing window in their "POP before SMTP" implementation).
> Since the failures occur so rarely, I'd like exim to automatically retry the
> message as it will almost certainly be accepted the next attempt.

I can't image any way short of modifying the code.

I don't think that that should be too hard to do. Just copy the code for
the smtp transport driver and create your own which treats a 550 as
temporary. Use that driver ONLY for talking to that particular hub.

At the same time, you should persue some other authentication method with
your ISP. POP before SMTP just isn't good enough for a real "site".
(Though you may find that you should just pay for a static address in the
end.)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg