Re: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as …

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as a temporary fail...
[ On Wednesday, November 22, 2000 at 15:37:49 (EST), JDBitters@??? wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as a temporary fail...
>
> It is not a question of whether exim should be notified of the rejection.
> The question is should exim be able to resend the rejected message two or
> three times before bouncing it back to the original server?

No, that's not the question.

A 5xx series error is always an immediate, permantent, error.

The sending mailer must immediatly and completely bounce any message
which causes the remote mail server to generate such a response.

Anything that makes a mailer treat a 5xx response as if it were a 4xx
response is only going to cause more problems and delays.

> For example, this morning's rejection resulted from a malfunctioning
> receiving server. Once we were notified that it had been fixed the senders
> were advised to resend the rejected messages. What is sought is a way for
> exim to do it automatically and bounce back only as a last resort.

You would do well to whack the person who has configured the
malfunctioning server with a clue-by-4 up-side the head so that they
learn not to send 5xx responses when the error is only temporary.

I.e. the problem's not on your end -- it's the clueless idiot at the
other end who's at fault.

If they can't figure out when to use a 4xx error for this specific
problem then they should just take their mail server offline completely
for the duration (or at least have it return a "421 not now!" response
immediately to any connection).

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>